Thursday 13 February 2014

Scout and Iris

I've been busy doing some sewing for myself.

This is the 'Scout' top by Grainline Studio and the 'Iris' shorts by Colette Patterns.

I made the top from some fabric I got from the offcuts basket at the Chalkydigits warehouse sale.  It is a very fine cotton voile and I think I paid $5 for about a metre.  Chalkydigits is a Christchurch based clothing label that produces beautiful garments, made locally and using stunning fabric.  I have been lucky enough to pick up a variety of their remnants and have many more home-sewn garments planned.
No - that isn't a wet patch!

I sewed the voile using french seams and although I made a muslin first I am not quite satisfied with the fitting, especially the line of the seams.  This should be quite easy to fix and I'll do so soon.  I also have to wear a slip underneath the 'Scout' because is so see-through. 
The shorts are made in a grey stretch twill.  I made a muslin first for these as well - and I am not perfectly happy with their fit either.  The invisible zip was a new adventure for me, as although I have been sewing for years I've managed to avoid them.  The Colette pattern had no instructions for this kind of zipper and you were advised to go to their website - but I got out my Oliver + S pattern for the 'Fairy Tale Dress' and used Liesl's awesome directions instead.  I must have damaged my zipper in the process and after having a bit of trouble with it I'm planning to finish my next one below the waistband and add a tab above.  I think that would suit my body shape better anyway.

These photos were taken on a gorgeous day out by our apple trees.  I've been playing with the self-timer, needless to say it took a while to get good photos!

1 comment:

  1. Adore the colour of your top - I haven't made clothing in such a long time for me. Maybe this year ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and giving me a link to your work. I really value your support and encouragement. :-)
Recently I've had a lot of spamming on my blog so apologies to friends for making it trickier to comment. I value genuine comments even more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...