Monday, 19 December 2011

Fashion from my Childhood

I found this book for $1 at my local second hand book shop.  What a delight!
Here are a sample of the patterns - I think I'll have a go adapting the culottes pattern to make shat we now call a 'skort'.  But it's the length of the dresses that really amuse me!

With a bit of lengthening I think I could actually use some of these - and there is plenty to choose from anyway!

Small Delights in the Garden

You have to go past all the weeds, but here are a sample of the deligth of an early summer, Canterbury garden.  All planted by self!!
The lavender to the left is 'Pacific Blue' and the right one is 'Dilly, Dilly'.  Penstemon at back.
Madarine 'Miho' to the left and Lemon 'Meyer' at right.

Lavender 'Hidcote'.  Taken from cuttings or grown by seed.  Put in to replace some awful ornamental grasses.

I love my chives!  Must remember to trim them back regulary to get new growth.
Our new spuds.  We have been easting these for a couple of weeks now.  Before this I had emptied out potatoes grown in buckets - definetely worth doing, but next time I'll start with two spuds per bucket.  They grew like rockets in the glasshouse.

Something to delight at the doorstep.  I love geraniums, but put effort in to keeping them away from frosts over the winter.  The federation daisy was from my grandmother's, but I don't know it's name.

Christmas Cheer

K and I have been busy making Christmas decorations and gifts for our house and others.  Here are some small felt gingerbread men and Christmas themed houses from 'Scandinavian Stitches' that we gave to our friends at Playcentre.
And this is what they looked like all boxed up, ready to go!

We also decided to make a cool hanging for our own place.  Using four colours of Christmas fabric, and the words typed in 'Gill Sans Ultra Bold' at 280 size and printed off.  I cut out each letter and pinned them to a doubled piece of fabric (wrong sides facing) and then sewed around it, leaving a small gap to stuff.  This was hard on my needle, but gave very good letter shape. though I did have to adapt the "I" as I wanted it to have a top and bottom.
I removed the paper, then trimmed with pinking shears, stuffed lightly, then sewed up the hole.  I hung these using baker's twine stitched along the backing.
I have also been to patchwork class recently and our lovely tutor gave us one of these each, tatted by a friend of her's.  Gorgeous!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...