Thursday 6 February 2014

A Little Bit of Whimsy

I'm quite fascinated by mini quilts.  You may have noticed that by my postings, click on the label to the right ('mini') to see small samples of my work.  I think I have always wanted to make them, especially as they are such a good way to develop skills (think Sarah Fielke's book 'Quilting from Little Things'), but the current buzz with Camille Roskelley's mini patterns has me infatuated.  Her work is just so delicious that I'm contemplating a wall like the one she has here.

Last year I adapted my copy of Thimbleblossom's 'Swoon' pattern to make a slightly smaller block that was suitable as a cushion.

http://forkandneedle.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/swooning.html
Sorry - repeated image - click on it to go to that posting

That was so successful I decided recently to have a go at making my own mini version of  'On a Whim'.

The fabric is from Sarah Fielke's 'On the Pond' range available at Spotlight.  I'm not that excited by it, but the small size print is great for a mini quilt.  The green is Kona 'pear'.

The quilt itself is only 12" wide and I have placed my rotary cutter beside it to compare - it is a 45mm one!  Each block is 6" wide and it took a few attempts to work out the sizings for the triangles and squares on point - but I did it!

I quilted it with a small stipple that was completely free-hand.

K and her dolls are going to have fun with this one too.  Maybe we could act out 'The Princess and the Pea' but with quilts rather than mattresses.  :-)

I have a number of selfish sewing projects on the go and need to share those too... soon I promise myself!

I'm planning to link up with 'Finish it up Friday' at Crazy Mom Quilts again.  See you there!

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you clever down sizing them. You will definitely have to join some more Flickr swaps, they are a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taryn: I love the idea of a mini quilt - you have a finished project faster and you can hang your piece on a wall or use it as a centerpiece on a table. I ordered one of Sarah's books from my local library - can't wait until it gets in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and giving me a link to your work. I really value your support and encouragement. :-)
Recently I've had a lot of spamming on my blog so apologies to friends for making it trickier to comment. I value genuine comments even more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...