Part way it looked like this:
- drilled each hole longer, so that the screws had plenty of room and there was less chance of the wood splitting - it did only a little.
- assemble it on a hard surface - not carpet!
- find clamps to hold it - if at all possible.
It was also a great project to show K what you can make with wood. She loves the carpentry table at Playcentre but this was a chance to show her that even mum could make something!
So I have spent the last week ironing, folding, sorting and trimming through my collection of pieces for patchwork. Anything too small to be folded went back in a suitcase. It also helped me to realise what I did have plenty of and yes - there were some gaps.
The second shelf is by style (L to R): Christmas; 30s reproduction; checks; stripes & spots; florals (have heaps of these); and then large eye-spy prints.
The third shelf is by designer: Sweetwater; French General; a mix; Anni Downs & Bonnie and Camille; Amy Butler etc; and lots of Debbie Mumm (that shows you how old my collection is!)
The fourth by colour again.
Then the final layers have larger cuts of assorted fabrics - including more French General, 3 Sisters, Oliver + S, and a little of Heather Ross.
My larger cuts of yardage - for sewing clothes and quilt backings are stored in other boxes.