Saturday 7 February 2015

A Marmalade Garden

Today I finished a wall hanging/quilt that wasn't on my list of 'must finishes' but I am very pleased to have it completed as I had started it back in March last year.


I have Lori Holt's fantastic book 'Quilty Fun' and was keen to have a go piecing some of her blocks.  I worked out that both the butterfly and flower (head) block could be made from a charm square, so I got out my hoarded 'Marmalade' charm pack.


I purchased some extra yardage of the Bonnie and Camille range to add more leaves, as well as some Kona 'peapod' for the stems and Kona 'snow' for the background.


Then I used my new design wall - made from a piece of flannel hung by map pins - to organise the pieces into a pleasing design.  I made 14 butterflies and 14 flowers (three of which had longer stems).


I did the quilting in a freehand stipple and love the effect of it!  I'm also super pleased with the red border and love how it works with the floral outer border.


Finished size: 52" (wide) by 48" (high) - 133cm x 122cm

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for 'Finish It Up Friday'.

3 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! I too am a Lori Holt fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is lovely. It makes me want to make one for myself. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done! You can't go wrong with Marmalade I've decided.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and giving me a link to your work. I really value your support and encouragement. :-)
Recently I've had a lot of spamming on my blog so apologies to friends for making it trickier to comment. I value genuine comments even more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...